Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Hand & Lock

In my first year of my foundation degree I was given a live brief for a competition held by the amazing Hand & Lock company, specialising in beautiful embroidered work. the competition named, 'Buntys Old Draws' was an absolutely brilliant brief to follow, i really enjoyed the challenge and the idea that my work is leading towards something! I started my project by looking at colours and vintages laces drawing from pattern and drawing my own, after toying with a few ideas I liked one image i had created and repeated it to make a full pattern.
To create my final piece i stretched some silk chiffon on to a wooden frame i made. I then made a pattern shaped on a manikin to create a shoulder piece that would fit around the neck. i drew out my pattern on the the silk screen i had made and started the never ending beading all over! i found that using the silk was best as the fibres don't pull at all which  helps a lot when doing this amount of heavy beading. I tried to use a variety of different sizes and shaped beads from bugle to seed beads, having such a complicated pattern to follow, the type of bead used would depend on the patter, but i absolutely love the final out come!
 The collar is made out of an olive green, shot with back taffeta, with stiffener to keep its shape, i also added some beautiful little brass buttons i found at a local shop in Newcastle called chillingham collectibles! full of everything and anything that could come in use. This is most definitely my favourite project yet!
Beading on to the silk frame.
Back veiw


Front veiw


Glisten.



The latest brief i have been given is 'glisten!' looking and shiny, reflective objects for inspiration. I decided to start by looking and images of water and ice, which then led on to images of the earth from satellite views, the shapes that are created through the deterioration of land and water is really good to draw, no two images can be the same, and because of the detail in the images there is so much to pick up on. I drew from the images i found and created multiple patterns, because of the detail in the images that i wanted to create i found it hard to just draw such fluid shapes and textures and questioned how i would be able to create the look i wanted. After experimenting with a few different techniques and different inks, i found that marbling would suite the concept i was trying to create! I experimented with different strengths of paint to find what would suite best. as well as this i manipulated the paint after i had dropped it in to different patterns.


after creating a pattern for my two final garments i began cutting and marbling on to fabrics, heavy weight georgettes and crepes i found worked best with the marbling. I have also used water soluble fabric to create the embroidery featured around the neck line of the marbled fabric dress. This i think has worked well and fits in well with the theme and brief given.